As I don’t know where my shoots will take me I can’t individually plan the lighting and location of each shoot. I want my images to be relaxed and candid and planing shoot will take away from the care free part of that, as I plan on following my models around to see what they get up to.
What equipment to have if needed:
- DSLR camera
- Phone (to shoot video)
- Film camera
- Tripod – If lightings too low will need to use a low shutter speed to insure as much light as possible. The low shutter speed will cause camera shake without tripod.
- Hand held flash – If lighting is low with no tripod can help light the shot.
When shooting these are the top things to keep in mind:
- Keep changing viewpoints and angles.
- Think about the weather/ lighting, how to change the settings to fit the surroundings, especially if they’re changing.
- Getting a lot of both wide angle images as well as cropped.
- Not just photographing the model but the details within their life as well, this will show the viewer who they really are.
- Make sure the model is comfortable.
- It’s okay to stage a few shots as long as they don’t look stiff, not everything important in their life will happen in one day.